Indonesia tightens security in Bali
Indonesian authorities warn a terror attack over the Christmas-New Year period is “possible”, with police in Bali tightening security, particularly at Denpasar airport.
Indonesia’s intelligence and counter-terror chiefs, communications minister, and heads of police, military and religious groups met for a briefing in Jakarta on Monday.
Co-ordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan told reporters a terror attack during the Christmas-New Year period was “possible”.
“That’s why we’re alert in all airports, sea and air, and possibly other places too,” he said.
National Police spokesman Agus Rianto said the annual Operasi Lilin (Operation Candle) for the Christmas and New Year period was being boosted this year.
There had been no specific threat to Bali, where many Australians would be spending their holidays, he said.
Bali provincial police have increased security however, particularly at the airport.
A British man was reportedly removed from a Denpasar to Doha flight on Sunday night because a suspicious object – later found to be a “bomb-like toy” – was in his carry-on bag.
Monday’s meeting came as extra security was provided to six senior police officials who were targeted specifically in threats, apparently from IS.
But intelligence chief Sutiyoso played down the likelihood of the attacks happening.
“It won’t happen,” he said.
“It’s not their method. They would strike without talking.”
Indonesia Police Watch, a non-government body that monitors police performance, says the six police were singled out because they were “considered the most responsible for arresting radical groups and those indicated as ISIS members in Indonesia”.
Source :Sidney Morning Herald
BREAKING NEWS | HEADLINE NEWS | NEWS | DAILY NEWS | WEEKLY NEWS
WORLD NEWS | INDONESIA NEWS | BALI NEWS